Welcome

My drug of choice is writing––writing, art, reading, inspiration, books, creativity, process, craft, blogging, grammar, linguistics, and did I mention writing?

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Write Today. Because It's A Brand New Day

I tend to turn on reruns of old shows while I clean house.  I get distracted too easily if I'm cleaning in silence.  And if it's a show I haven't seen before, I get distracted BY the show and wind up sitting down and watching it.

So a little while ago I was oiling the hardwood floors with House M.D. on in the background and I heard this song.  It made me think of how often we put off writing not because of where we are, but actually because of the past.  Like a diet or exercise regimen, writing is easy not to do because it hasn't been going well lately.

Now I can't seem to get enough of it.  In fact the whole album it's on (Joshua Radin: Simple Times) has been on repeat for a while.

But when we consider each day a tabula rasa and wake to the possibility that this will be the day we stop stopping and start writing, it is much easier to make the slumps short and...as Gold Five says: "Stay on Target."  Yeah, I know it's sort of about other stuff, but you know how you kind of bend and twist song lyrics to fit your lives like a Rorschach inkblot test?  Well, I do that a lot.

Forget how it's been going.  Forget that you've had a bad run.  Forget that you fell off the wagon thirty times before...and that was just last month.  Today is a new day.  Write.



2 comments:

  1. It's like climbing a cliff... don't look down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That works. Not sure if there's a video for that one, though.

      Delete