Welcome

My drug of choice is writing––writing, art, reading, inspiration, books, creativity, process, craft, blogging, grammar, linguistics, and did I mention writing?

Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Best Stand Alone Science Fiction Novel

The Results Are In--Read your messianic literature right away.  Because we can give a pass to the first and best "What-you-folks-need-is-a-honkey!" science fiction story.

I shed a single dramatic tear at how few votes there were.   It was a manly Aragorn-Loves-Boromir's-Dying-Speech tear, not a Dawson's Creek tear.  I just want to be clear about that.  Also, that was dust in the air at the end of The Iron Giant.  DUST!  (Both times.)

But, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing whether it's for forty people or forty thousand.  Maybe some day we'll redo the whole poll to get a better sample size.


Dune kicked total ass, followed by Neuromancer.  Then there four way tie for third between LeGuin and three really classic classics.

I can't be too sad though.  Dune is pretty damned awesome.

Oh and the person who nominated Flowers For Algernon is on my Spock-Eyebrow-Arch list.  If you nominate a book as "the best science fiction novel," I sort of expect that it will at least get your vote on the poll.  You know who you are.  I'm watching you buddy!

Oh and here, if you seriously haven't read these books you should, and if you buy shit from me, I get a couple of cents.  I picked the cheapest ones I could find--which means in good conscience, I have to let you know that the really old books (Frankenstein, The Time Machine) are off copyright and easy to find for free:


No comments:

Post a Comment