Welcome

My drug of choice is writing––writing, art, reading, inspiration, books, creativity, process, craft, blogging, grammar, linguistics, and did I mention writing?

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Comment Policy

I had to switch to moderating comments to cut down on spam and bullshit. Internet Assholery is a Hollywood T-Rex of interaction, and I have apparently begun to look like a tender juicy lawyer on the Port-a-Potty moving around entirely too much.

So I had to pull the plug, turn off the music, and tell everyone to get out of the pool. Now there's a bouncer at the door checking to make sure that you mind your P's and Q's.

  • It would probably take a lot to get ME to blink, much less be offended or actually hurt. Ever since the death threats and the call for my execution, I've been pretty zen about regular criticism of my prose. However, I won't put up with comments that are hateful or hurtful to other commenters or nothing more than spilled vitriol, so play nice or I delete comments without even an explanation. 
  • Though this link is for Facebook, it will tell you exactly what kind of comments will be okay, which ones will be deleted because they are jerkwadery, and which ones will get you marked as a spammer. 
  • Any comment left on a tab page or a menu entry will eventually be erased.  (It's not that I don't love you; I just want to keep them clean.) I'll leave all the comments on articles up until the day they finally turn power off to The Internet, but the menus and tabs would get very cluttered if I let comments accumulate.
  • ANY comment on Writing About Writing may show up in a later entry where I respond to it.  Consider that before you comment.  99% of my commenters are rational, calm, and awesome or just giving some quick feedback that wouldn't work to spark its own post. You can comment that you think something is great (or even not my best) without worrying that I'll repost your comments, and you can call me on my grammar mistakes forever without worry. (In fact, I'm generally grateful if someone points out a mistake I can fix.)
So please, unless you 1- Identify yourself SOMEHOW in the comment,  2- ask me not to use the comment as entry fodder you may find it showing up in The Mailbox.

Above is a policy about comments!  I will not post emails, PM's/DM's on social media, or other private correspondence unless I have express permission. 

Above policy is also about comments left directly on this blog. I have other commenting policies for social media pages like Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment