Welcome

My drug of choice is writing––writing, art, reading, inspiration, books, creativity, process, craft, blogging, grammar, linguistics, and did I mention writing?

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Useful Resources That Cost

If I review a book, an app, a class (for some reason) or anything that isn't both easily accessible through the web and free, I'll tell you what I think of it. That way you can use my opinion to inform whether you want to expend the time, effort, and/or money to acquire it as well. (Who knows, maybe you don't respect my opinion and you'll only buy things I hate.)

I'll keep a list of these reviews and a basic rank here. Most of these are links that will take you back to the original page I reviewed them on, and the full text of what I had to say, not to anything like an Amazon page.  I'm fairly confident that you can handle that part if you want to.







This one goes up to 11- Dorothea Brande Becoming a Writer

10s- If I didn't buy this, I would wonder if I hadn't been taken over by a pod person.  I would start to watch me very carefully when I slept.

9s- At twice the price this would still be a steal.  Simply put: find a way to get this.

Strunk and White.  The Elements of Style

8s- A phenomenal value. The kind of thing I write into my budget right after food but before electricity.

7s- A Great Deal. Unless you are wondering where the next rent check is coming from, this is a "Should buy."

Stephen King On Writing

6s- A decent deal for the price. Pat yourself on the back after this purchase and say, "That'll do, self.  That'll do."

App- Level Me Up

5s- You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.  An even value.

Good Vocabulary Builders

4s- If you have money to burn--sure, why not?  If you found it on sale at 1/2 price books, give it a shot.

3s- Don't bother. Even at a discount it's probably not worth it.

Bad Vocabulary Builders

2s- It's probably worth it to pay NOT to have this

1s- I would risk fighting Morlocks for the chance to go back in time and warn myself not to waste money on this tripe.


If you're enjoying this blog, and would like to see more articles like this one, the writer is a guy with a rent and insurance to pay who would love to spend more time writing. Please consider contributing to My Patreon. As little as $12 a year (only one single less-than-a-cup-of-coffee dollar a month) will get you in on backchannel conversations, patron-only polls, and my special ear when I ask for advice about future projects or blog changes.


No comments:

Post a Comment